Episode 62: The Return!

by whitney & christina on October 2, 2013

The ladies are back and have a jam-packed show for you! Whitney and Christina are answering your questions, like what happens when a somm gets pregnant and how to break into the wine business. Also, their always-traveling old pal Carmen Grape-iago is back on the wine trail. Where is she this time? All that and a TON more!

Whitney’s brand new wine accessory shop, Bottle Stock, just launched this summer! She’s offering 20% off everything (except leather goods) through Friday the 4th with discount code THECRUSH (enter at checkout.) Get on it!

Listener Julie asked about what happens when a sommelier gets pregnant. Whitney recently wrote a blog post about it and interviewed her colleague Christine.

Other listener questions: Jenny asked about her move to Portland and a career in wine and Aeshna wants to know about wine pairings for spicy Indian food and gooey chocolate cake.

Quickfire interview with Max Shapiro and Max Coane of BRK Dining.

Christina sounds off about wine competitions and how the Aussies are obsessed with them. A well written post on the subject from our buddy Doug Wregg of Les Caves de Pyrene.

6,000 YEAR OLD WINE!!!

Whitney talks about eating and drinking out alone as a solo diner. Weird? Awesome? Do you feel the need to eat or drink differently? She recently had a table for one at the fantastic Passionfish in Pacific Grove. Shout out to the homie Janae, Wine Director and podcast listener!

Producers we love in this episode’s Where in the World is Carmen Grape-iago segment: Gaja, Vietti, Mascarello, Bruno Giacosa, Brovia, Roagna, Rocche Viberti, Cascina Disa, Paolo Manzone, Alberto Voerzio.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Christian Rollino October 6, 2013 at 10:37 pm

So glad to see/hear you back! Long live The Crush!!

Aubrey October 10, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Hey ladies! Sosososo glad you’re back! Really enjoyed this episode, and missed you while you were away! But it’s completely understandable–congrats on your achievements. You both inspire me to follow my wine career dreams.

Quick question: you mention in this podcast how buying wine based on scores in the “lazy way out.” I’ve had misgivings lately that I do a similar thing. Through your podcast, I heard about Chambers St Wines, and fell in love with them via their website. I can’t get that much great wine in Tennessee, so they’re a really great resource for me.

Still, I’ve had some misgivings that I’m being a bit lazy in ordering from them, because I’m just assuming that everything they stock is going to be great (I mean, I haven’t been disappointed so far, BUT…)

Isn’t that just another way of being lazy? To trust that a cool shop will never steer you wrong, so you stick to them exclusively? I love Chambers so much, I’ll probably keep ordering from them anyway. But ya know.

Thanks ladies!

Aubrey

whitney & christina October 11, 2013 at 12:34 am

Hi Aubrey, thanks for the kind words, and for listening!

I don’t think finding a supplier whose wines you love is being lazy at all! In fact, I adore Chambers Street and often do the same-I trust their palates and know that I’ll probably like most of what they stock, whether I’ve heard of a wine or not. I was more referring to walking into a wine shop and grabbing a bottle solely because of all the medals on it, especially when there’s a (hopefully) knowledgable employee ready to help and recommend something most likely more interesting. I understand totally why people do it, I just think they then wonder why they’re stuck in a ‘wine rut’ of always buying boring uninspiring wines.

If you love Chambers Street and have found that your palates are aligned, keep with them. They’re the kind of place that’s always getting in new and different wines so you’ll never get bored! (seriously, I should start taking commission from them…haha!)

Happy drinking!

Christina

Aeshna October 15, 2013 at 4:04 am

Thank you so much. It was so nice listening to you both again! Much love from New Delhi.

Anna October 18, 2013 at 4:51 am

Awesome podcast Ladies! Looking forward to the next one! :D

Jenna B. October 25, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Hi, ladies!

I am new to the crush podcast and discovered it through hearing Whitney as a guest on the amateur gourmet podcast. I’ve been listening to your past episodes and really enjoying your funny, approachable, and personable way of providing education to wine newbies like me.

A question: Whitney, I was wondering if you had ever heard of Caparone Winery near Paso Robles. I know that you are a fan of Italian wines, which they specialize in, and they also seem to emphasize a more natural approach with low oak, which I know also tends to be your thing. We’re planning a trip to Paso in a couple weeks with friends, and I am looking for recommendations on worthwhile wineries to visit. Thanks!

whitney & christina October 26, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Hi Jenna! so happy you found us and that you’re enjoying the podcast! I’ve never heard of Caparone but i’ll have to check them out. When you are in Paso- definitely go see Brian and Stephy Terrizzi at Giornata. They are working with Italian varieties too. They have a second label called Broadside that’s also great. You can make a tasting appointment, just check their site for details- http://www.giornatawines.com/

-Whitney

Jenna B. October 26, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Whitney! We’ll definitely look into Giornata.