This week Whitney and Christina talk about the good, the bad and the ugly of their Christmas drinks. Hint: Manhattans in a bottle and wine by the Dave Matthews Band. They also chat about their favorite food/drinks/remedies for (potential) New Year’s Day hangovers. Finally, the ladies reveal their 2012 wine world predictions.
Fresh Press: This is what Christina ate and drank for Christmas! A sea of red sauce…and mediocre pinot.
1) The wine keg: not just beer in kegs anymore, wine and now cocktails too!
3) “Natural wine” becoming a part of everyone’s vocabulary and more winemakers working in this style.
4) More wine buying online.
5) A move to a more free and fair wine marketplace/loosening of state regulations in the USA.
6) The Rosé revolution! A style that’s becoming more and more popular year round.
7) Sauvignon blanc goes out. Gruner veltliner comes in!
The Crush Quickfire: Ed Wilson- head chef of Terroirs/Brawn/Soif
Wines of the Week:
Whitney’s favorite: Cedric Bouchard‘s “Inflorescence” Blanc de Noirs
Christina’s favorite: Jacques Selosse ‘Substance’ Blanc de Blanc
‘American Champagne’ Christina found in her hometown’s wine shop for $6…a big no-no!
And finally, for your holiday entertainment, outtakes from Orson Welles’ ‘California Champagne’ commercial.